My Royal Court

06 July 2011

Mindless Misuage of Language

Here is another collection of inane phrasology.  These involve idioms one should try to avoid when writing. 

I detest when someone jumps out at me in an effort to scare me.  Yes, most of the time it is a successful feat as I scare easily, and I never know whether to giggle, weep, or yell. I do have a hearty laugh about it, though.  The words spoken by individuals when this occurs:  You scared me half to death!  Well, if one is scared half to death, does that mean the second time this happens, you’re scared whole and you pass on?!

It would be pleasing to sleep during the nighttime without interruption; however, this never seems to happen.  What awakens me is a writing inspiration that I need to jot down.  If not, then I will, without doubt, forget.  The expression many use you ask when a person does slumber in perfect harmony?  I slept like a baby.  What?!  Why is this the go-to?  A baby wakes up every 2 hours. 

Have you ever been so distraught over something that you utter the words lost my head?  I highly doubt this happened.  If so, you’d rival Ichabod Crane. 

Why do I hear the phrase drew a blank when one is trying to answer a question but can’t?  Draw can be either a transitive or intransitive verb and has many meanings, the most common of which would more than likely have something to do with art.  That said, how does one depict blankness? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...